Thursday, November 1, 2012

Mrs. Dittmer's Class


In the year 776 B.C. the first Olympic Games were held. The Olympic Games were in honor of the god Zeus and a crown of olive branches was awarded to the winner. Democracy began in 508 B.C. Democracy means “ruled by the people.” Male citizens were the only people given a chance to vote.
By Maria


I am using the red-figure style because if I used the black-figure style the details wouldn't show. I drew two Spartans in the center and on the top I drew a Spartan on a chariot to show one way they traveled. On the bottom I used patterns of diamonds and triangles. I picked Spartans for my center design because I knew what they looked liked and what they used to fight with. The shields had to have designs on them. The vases tell of history, like battles and legends and what the Greeks did in their lives. I think my vase tells about the Spartans.
By Lander


The Classical Period  in Greece started in 500 B.C. At this time, there was a lot of interest in the arts and stuff. It ended in 323 B.C.
By Addison


I like this lesson because it's about mythology and learning about how the Greeks lived long ago. Greeks were more civilized than I thought. They didn't waste anything. They had the Olympics. Back then, the Olympics was just in Greece, now it's all over the world. They started everything for us.
By Katie


I decided to do a hydria because they were used for awarding prizes in the Olympics. In the Olympics today winners get medals, they won pots. The winner would get a vase like a hydria or amphora with oil in it. It was probably because they didn't have a lot of gold or silver. Clay was easy. Oil was really valuable and a vase was how it was stored. So that's why it was the award. Usually on the pots they drew what was happening in their lives. Some scenes were fighting, the Olympics or making clothes. Basically anything they did would be on a vase. My vase has two Spartans fighting on it. I like the MSU Spartans and that's why I decided to use them.  
By Griffin


I am using a hydria. It was used for storing water. I am using patterns with a shield and spears to tell what they used to fight with. I learned that the Greeks started the Olympics. I learned about three different types of vases and what they were used for.
By Max


A krater was used for mixing water and wine. I used the Olympics as my theme for my art. I really liked how they started the Olympics. I think it's interesting that they would win a vase and olive branch crown. Before this lesson I didn't know about Greek vases or how the figures on them show us how they lived and what they did.
By Shannon


I am using Pegasus with two Spartans fighting. The idea came to my mind and I liked it. In this lesson I learned a lot about ancient Greece. I really like learning about the vases, what their names were and what they were used for. I am using a krater. I picked it because I really liked the shape of it.
By Caroline


I learned that the first Olympic games were in 776 B.C. and that they were held in honor of the Greek god Zeus. The prize they won was a crown of olive branches and oil. They started democracy too. Democracy means being ruled by the people. Back then only men were able to vote.
By Chase 



I used an amphora because it looked like it would be fun. I drew patterns on my vase because I like patterns.  An amphora was used to store oil. In this lesson I learned how Greek vases were important to the Greeks. They used them for carrying things in, to mix things together and for storage.
By Sydni

 
I used the amphora. It was used for storage. I picked it because I wanted to have a lot of room so I could draw a lot. I drew pictures of the Greeks and the Romans that told the story of the war between them. In this lesson I learned that the Greeks used different kinds of pots for different purposes. The pots are important to us because they are pieces of history that tell us about their life and culture back then.
By Owen



I used a hydria because I thought it would be interesting. Hydrias were used for storing water. In this lesson I learned that the Greeks were very interesting. I drew a Greek soldier riding in a chariot on my vase. I drew it because I am interested in the war between the Greeks and Romans. Greek vases are important to us because they are the last thing we have that tells us about ancient Greece.
By Michael



I used a krater. I picked it because it was my favorite. The krater was used for mixing water and wine. Greek vases are important to use because they tell about the history of ancient Greece. I drew the olive branch crown on my vase because it  reminds me of the Olympics.
By Nolan



I picked the amphora because I liked the shape.  Also, I thought the space would be good for my design. The amphora was used for storing liquids like oil. In this lesson I learned what the names of the vases were and what they were used for. A hydria was used for storing water in and a krater was used for mixing wine and water. I drew patterns and designs on my vase because the Greeks always used patterns. The Greek vases are important to us because they give us information about the art in ancient Greece.
By Peyton



I picked a hydria because it is a big vase and I knew I could draw more if I used it. It was used for storing water. I learned about the three main types of Greek vases in this lesson. I also learned about the mythological beast Cerberus. I drew the Romans fighting the Greeks. I also drew the Greeks fighting Cerberus and the Greeks protecting Pegasus from the Romans. I drew the pictures because I like mythological beasts. Greek vases are important to us because they are one of the last pieces of Greek history that we have.
By Blake



I picked the amphora because it has a lot of room for pictures. An amphora was used for storage. I drew coconut trees with a sun. I drew it because I like coconuts. I learned that Greek vases have many different values. They are important because they are pieces of history.
By Vincent



I drew a hydria. I picked it because it's a cool shape. It was helpful for storing water in ancient Greece. I drew a palm tree on my vase with Pegasus. Pegasus is a myth and I enjoy listening to myths. Greek vases are very useful for lots of things. They store things and they were used as a prize during the Olympics.
By Alyssa



I picked a hydria because I wanted to have a lot of drawing space. Hydrias were used for storing water. I drew ancient stuff like pyramids and war horses because they are ancient. I learned that Greek vases wee used for the Olympics. Greek vases are important because they are the last piece of history we have about ancient Greece.
By Zach



I used a hydria because I wanted space to draw. Hydrias were used for storing water. I drew a gladiator fighting a Pegasus in front of a coliseum because I like mythological creatures and the fighting that happened between them. I learned that the Greeks used vases to tell about their lives and that's how we know how they lived long ago. Greek vases are important bacuse they tell us about the past.
By Caleb

 

Visit Mythology Island at:
http://www.poptropica.com/

1 comment:

  1. mrs.dittmer's class rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete